For a while now my shell has been taking a very long time to start up. It wasn’t so noticeable on more powerful machines, but on my late 2010 MacBook Air with “only” 2GB of RAM, it was very noticeable.
Last weekend I decided to finally sit down and figure out what was causing the
slow startup times. I stepped through the startup process in my dotfiles,
commenting out lines until it was fast again, it didn’t take long to find
the offending line in my
for module ($DOTFILES/**/*.zsh) source "$module"
This line uses shell globbing to load up all the files that end in
the dotfiles repo, its pretty central to the way the dotfiles work, without
it no custom zsh scripts are loaded. So how could this line be causing such
a slow startup?
The way globbing works is it expands the pattern into a list of
files. In this case it checks all the files in the dotfiles directory to
see if they end with
This shouldn’t be a problem, but I had configured my vim plugins to be installed into a directory within the dotfiles repo, which had its contents gitignored, you can see the commit on GitHub. This meant I could install vim plugins without having to track them in the repo. So the shell globbing was checking all of the files in the vim plugins as well as the dotfiles.
To solve this problem I spent an hour removing my vim configuration from my dotfiles and putting it into its own repository. I’d wanted to do this for a while anyway because I found myself changing my vim configuration a lot more than anything else in the dotfiles.
I made this change on my faster work laptop, which doesn’t suffer as much with the slow startup. When I got round to pulling the changes down to my Air the difference was very noticeable, new shells pop into existence in under a second, like they should.
It’s been 6 months since I made the commit which began the slowdown. I’ve been putting up with slow shell startups for all that time, when actually it only took a couple of hours in total to identify and fix the problem.
So don’t be like me and ignore performance problems when you know they’re there, take the time to fix them. Sometimes the best course of action is to remove some code.