My minimal banana bread recipe. This is very much at the bread end of the bread/cake spectrum, it’s not very sweet other than the sweetness from the banana. If you want more sweetness then you can add some sugar, soft brown if possible, up to 100g added after the butter. Recipe can be used as a base and then added to, for example after mixing in the flour you could add a handful of walnuts or raisins, some cinnamon, vanilla essence, honey, peanut butter etc, anything that might go with banana really!
- 2 eggs
- 100g butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- 200g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Grease a loaf tin roughly 21x9x7cm and line with baking parchment
- Put the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them
- Melt the butter then combine with the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Mash the bananas and fold them into the butter and egg mixture.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined. If the mixture is too loose then add more flour.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for about 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a rack to cool completely.
Published on 12 April 2014